- 12 October, 2017 - 13 October, 2017
4:45 am - 5:00 pm
Lizzy started her career in the Outdoors as a trainee in Outdoor Education of which has taken her all over NSW working as an Outdoor Facilitator and Instructor.
Crestwood Hill High School – Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Australia
BRONZE QUALIFYING– 12th to 13th of October
Remote Safety Solutions has been contracted by Crestwood Hill High School to coordinate and run their 2017 Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Expeditions. Please find important information below about your child’s adventurous journey. Please ensure that you take the time to accurately and honestly complete the required data fields. Accurate medical data is important in the event of an unforeseen medical emergency occurring while on the program.
PROGRAM OVERVIEW – Marramarra
Marramarra National Park covers rugged bushland just north of Galston, with dramatic sandstone cliffs and a variety of natural habitats.
The park is bursting with bird and animal life, you’re likely to see gang-gang cockatoos, satin bowerbirds and green catbirds on the mountain slopes and, for students camping overnight, be sure to take a torch to look for yellow-bellied and greater gliders and sugar gliders. If you can’t see the yellow-bellied glider, you may well hear their loud shrieking and gurgling calls.
Students will be in small groups between 5 – 7 working as a team to successfully navigate the surrounding terrain. Using both man-made and natural features such as 4×4 tracks, major ridgelines, creeks and other terrain features to complete 2 challenging but rewarding loops over the 2 days.
To successfully complete the planned, route your child will need to show determination, decision-making, teamwork and a range of other skills to select and execute smart route planning through the untracked natural terrain.
Participate in an adventurous journey. This activity satisfies the requirements for the adventurous and challenging expedition requirement of the Award.
This expedition is both physically and mentally challenging to participants. Each day participants will hike up to 12 kilometers carrying their hiking pack and all their equipment. Student participants are encouraged to begin to develop their fitness in anticipation of the physical requirements. This should include weekly walks carrying their hiking packs and wearing walking shoes /boots.
12th of October 2017
- 0615 am Students Arrive at Crestwood Hill High School
- 0630 – 0800 Students travel to Marramarra
- 0800 – 1000 Student briefing and route planning
- 1000 – 1700 Hike along nominated route
- 1700 – 1800 Set up camp
- 1800 – 1900 Evening meal and clean up
- 1900 – 2130 Campfire
- 2130 Lights out
13th of October 2017
- 0630 – 0730 Breakfast, break camp, pack up
- 0730 – 0800 Clean campsite
- 0800 – 1400 Hike along nominated route
- 1630 – 1800 Travel from Marramarra to Crestwood Hill High School
- 1800 Arrive back at Crestwood Hill High School
VARIATION TO EXPEDITION DATES
The expedition will not be postponed because of forecast ‘unsettled’ weather. However, in the event of a forecast for unseasonably very bad weather or a Weather Warning is in place encompassing the program venue, the expedition may be postponed ensuring participant safety.
Your child using the right gear is instrumental in ensuring they have an enjoyable and comfortable experience. If you’re unsure whether your child’s equipment is appropriate to this program please feel free to call us for clarification If you are purchasing equipment make sure that it is appropriate and will withstand the high use and harsh environments that these programs take place in. To purchase equipment that meets these requirements please check out our Online Equipment Store. As an RSS Program Client, you are entitled to up to a 40% discount on items using the following code CHS2017. All items must be ordered 3 weeks prior to the advertised journey date. The items are delivered to the school prior to the program for your child to pick up.
- All necessary items of equipment must be taken and carried on the expedition.
- The RSS equipment checklist can be found here – Student Equipment Checklist
- Each candidate will be responsible for planning and preparing their own meals. At least one day’s emergency rations should be carried by participants. Download the sample menu – Expedition Menu Planning
- Remote Safety Solutions will supply each student with a map and compasses for use while on program (a lost or damaged compass will be charged to the student upon return to school) Compass $55.00, Map cases $20.00.
- Water purification MUST be carried by all students, water will be collected via natural creeks and this water will require purification.
- Candidates should start off with at least three full water bottles. In dry weather periods, water can be difficult to source so this is a minimum amount.
- Cold and wet weather equipment/clothing is essential to ensure the safety of participants and must be carried, as the weather is variable.
- Camera is optional
- Emergency communication and first aid equipment along with satellite tracking will be carried by each RSS staff member while on the program.
TRANSPORT AND TIMINGS FOR PARTICIPANT DROP OFF AND PICK UP
- Students must be at Crestwood Hill High School by 6:15 am on the morning of the 12th of October 2017
- Pick up will be approximately 6:00 pm on the 13th at Crestwood Hill High School. Students will contact you via phone by 5:00 pm if there is a variation to the pickup time.
- Participants must be on time.
- We will leave without you as bus times and walking times must be adhered to in order to arrive at campsites before night.
- Please ensure you monitor traffic conditions and that arrangements are made for a prompt pickup of participants.
MOBILE PHONE USAGE
Phone coverage at the program venue can be poor or not at all. Students are allowed to bring their phones while on the program but are not allowed to use them unless in the event of an emergency situation. Students found to be using their phone while on the program may be asked to justify the usage and if determined not appropriate by the school’s Duke of Award coordinator or RSS staff the student may be deemed as Not Yet Competent for the program.
Registrations close for this program 2:00 pm on 11th of October 2017
If you have any questions please feel free to contact our Outdoor Recreation Manager at [email protected]
Please select the “Register” button at the top of this page to register your child.
THIS IS A CLOSED PROGRAM – ONLY CRESTWOOD HILL HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS CAN ATTEND THIS JOURNEY.
Venue: Sydney - Arcadia
Venue Website: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.5462655,151.0770897,17zAddress:
Our Arcadia venue is located on private property within Murramurra National Park NSW. Access to the venue is via bloodwood Rd Fiddletown. The last 3 km is along a national park serviced fire trail, 2wd drive vehicles can assess the venue